Launch of e-bikes in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough to support key workers to move safely
Mayor James Palmer launches e bikes in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough with Voi to support key workers to move safely
The Cambridgeshire & Peterborough Combined Authority, led by Mayor James Palmer, has today (21st January 2021) launched electric bikes for public hire in Cambridge and Peterborough City centers.
Voi is offering free e-bike rides to NHS and Emergency Service workers as part of its Voi 4 Heroes initiative.
Mayor James Palmer said:
"There's no doubt the coming weeks are going to be challenging for key workers and I'm pleased to be able to offer a free public transport option to help doctors, nurses, Emergency Service workers and other critical staff get to and from work safely. E-scooters have already proven to be an important mode of transportation during these times, and e-bikes will help key workers go further where it's needed.
"I am proud of the part we have played at the Cambridgeshire & Peterborough Combined Authority to quickly bring forward these innovative schemes, delivering for local residents without compromising on safety. It is a clear demonstration of our commitment to new public transport options that are effective, efficient and environmentally friendly."
Initially, there will be 20 e-bikes available to rent in each city and they will be available 24/7. Voi e-bikes can be pedalled and are assisted by an electric motor up to 15.5 mph. When fully charged, Voi's e-bike can ride up to 31 miles. Voi will ensure the bikes always remain powered up, and batteries will be swapped out by the Voi teams overnight.
In Cambridge the bikes will be initially deployed in the following locations (and returned there over night by Voi staff):
- Cambridge Train Station x 2
- Castle Street (near the Cambridgeshire County Council)
- St Johns Street (near Old Divinity School, St John's College)
- Newmarket Road (near the Travelodge)
- Cherry Hinton Road (near Tesco Express)
- New Square Park
- Babraham Road Park and Ride
- Tennis Ct Road (near Department of Pathology - University of Cambridge)
- Park Terrace (on Parker's Piece)
- Addenbrooke's Hospital (near staff car park 6) x 2
- Trumpington Road with Newton Rd (near Nuffield Health Cambridge Hospital)
- Dame Mary Archer War (around the Addenbrooke's Hospital) x 2
- Trumpington Park & Ride x 2
- Milton Road with Lovell Rd
- Kings Hedges Road with Chariot Way
- Arbury Road (near Arbury Court Library)
In Peterborough they can be found at:
- Cygnet Road
- Station Road (near the train station)
- Lynch Wood
- Peterborough City Hospital
- North Bank Road with Airfields Cycleway
- Hill Cl
- Welland Road (near Spar and Subway)
- Maskew Avenue
- Oxclose (near Royal Mail Post Box)
- Audley Gate (near Royal Mail Post Box)
- Oundle Road (in from of Co-op)
- Hawksbill Way (near London Rd)
- Welland Road with Birchtree Avenue
- Westgate with Lincoln Rd
- City Rd with Laxton Square x 2
- Paynels (near Virans)
- Ortongate Shopping Centre
- Park Road (in the roundabout)
To ride an e-bike, users need to be 18 years old and over, are required to download the Voi app, available for free on Apple App Store or Google Play, and will have to present at least a provisional license.
It costs £1 to unlock the e-bike and then £0.15 per minute of usage.
Posted: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 14:08 by Jon Chitty