National Allotments Week 2021
National Allotments Week is taking place 9 - 15 August 2021, and this year's theme is "Plotting for the Future".
The National Allotment Society are celebrating the contribution that allotments make to a sustainable future. The NAS is calling to all NAS Members to celebrate your achievements & enter the National Allotment Week Virtual Show. The winners for each category will be featured during the campaign week on Facebook, Youtube & on the website.
The National Allotments Week started in 2002 as a way of raising awareness of allotments and the role they play in helping people to live healthier lifestyles, grow their own food, develop friendships and bolster communities. The campaign week is still thriving 18 years later and interest in growing your own fruit and vegetables has never been stronger since the WW2 Grow for Victory campaign.
The NAS aims to protect, promote and preserve allotments and we call on all those who value allotments to support us in this endeavour, we can all do our part -
- Allotment associations - protect your site, register as an Asset of Community Value.
- Allotment Federations -keep allotments in the public eye, make sure they are mentioned in the Local Plan and lobby your councillors and MPs.
- Councils preserve and value your allotment service – it has the potential to deliver some of your public health targets.
- Plot-holders -join the National Allotment Society and support your regional allotment network to promote the allotment movement.
- Aspiring plot-holders - do not be put off by the thought of a long wait – sign up for a plot now; without waiting lists allotment authorities cannot assess demand.
For more information on The National Allotments Week and the Virtual Show, visit: https://www.nsalg.org.uk/news-events-campaigns/national-allotments-week/
Posted: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 09:32 by Kathryn Adams